Every time I go to New York City, I have to go to Chelsea Market in the Meatpacking District. It would simply be a sin not to. Chelsea Market is a great place to get amazing food, particularly desserts. But even for savory foods, it’s got a wide variety of choices from lobster to pasta to Asian fusion. I recommend staying there for at least half a day because there’s so much to see and TASTE! And in between snacks (or meals), there are tons of shops where you can buy clothing, kitchenware, etc. Today I’m going to give you three different food shops/restaurants that I really enjoyed: (There will be other places I recommend from Chelsea Market and NYC, too.)
- Buddakan: Buddakan has one of the best chocolate dessert dishes that I’ve ever had: The Crying Chocolate. If it wasn’t for my craving stomach and the melting ice cream, I would put it on display at the MoMa. It’s that beautiful. The Crying Chocolate contains beautiful artwork made of caramel. On top of that is a chocolate lava cake which has extraordinary flavor and a chocolatey ganache inside. To complement the cake, is a Vietnamese coffee ice cream (homemade) sitting on ground coffee with a strip of chocolate above. As decoration, chocolate ganache decorates the plate, which I honestly could eat by itself and still be happy. Buddakan also has other amazing dishes like the Edamame Dumplings, the Salt and Pepper Black Bass, and the Pork Buns with pork belly. Those three savory dishes are to die for as well. I can literally live off of them for the rest of my life. They’re just so damn good.
- Doughnuttery : The best donuts I’ve had…..ever. Period. They’re just so fresh and sweet and small! Right when you buy them, they are freshly made and you can watch the cooks fry and coat the donuts on the spot with their different sugars (My favorite was the CacaoBoy). I love how they are just the cutest thing. One donut is smaller than the size of my palm, but it makes the experience more fun. My favorite thing about Doughnuttery is the quality of their ingredients. Their ingredients are all high-quality and local; you can taste the quality of the sugars.
- L’Arte del Gelato: Amazing gelato. Their gelato is so smooth and creamy I would eat it every day if I lived in NYC. My favorite flavors are the Mocaccino and the Cioccolato.
Other places to go to in Chelsea Market-
- Giovanni Rana Pastificio & Cucina
- The Lobster Place
Other places you MUST go to in NYC:
1. Xi’an Famous Foods- Lian-Pi Cold Skin Noodles, Stewed Pork Burger, Spicy Cumin Lamb Burger, and Spicy Cumin Lamb Hand-ripped Noodles (I basically ordered for you.) The reason why I love this place is the price and the food. The dishes are so affordable and soulful. It’s even better than some of the noodles I’ve tried in China. I tried to find a place like Xi’an Famous Foods near my house, but ended up empty handed.
2. Carnegie- You have to go to Carnegie for the Corned Beef and Pastrami on Rye as well as the pickles. It’s just a classic place that you can’t miss.
3. See this website for great restaurants: < https://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-york/the-20-best-restaurants-in-nyc-thrillist-eat-seeker >
4. See this other website for top restaurants : < http://ny.eater.com/maps/best-new-york-restaurants-38 >